I am entirely out of place. I feel like a kid on the playground on the first day at a new school. My eyes are wide open, trying to take everything in. I try to subtly watch every one else and copy what they do. I try not to do things that others don't do, though I'm sure I'm making a cultural faux pas at the rate of at least one per minute.
Church this morning was a great experience. I dressed up in the traditional Indian clothing, thanks to a generous friend. So, at least I looked like I knew what I was doing. I quickly picked up on the fact that the women cover their heads with their scarf for prayer and worship. No problem... except that I must have been too enthusiastic in my clapping. My scarf kept falling off my head. Everyone else makes it look so easy. What am I doing wrong?
"We want to welcome Cheryl here this morning. In fact, Cheryl, why don't you share a few words with us?" Thankfully, I had been warned that this might come. What I didn't remember was that I needed to give the translator time to translate. So halfway through my second or third sentence, my gracious hosts are frantically waving at me, trying to get me to stop without outright yelling at me! I caught their motions in the corner of my eye and realized my mistake. Grace abounds. The translator caught up to me. And I continued. A minute later, I was done. When they say "a few words", I take them at their word. No need for me to give a sermon!
The service was a 3.5 hour affair today. I was told this is not normal, but today's service held special events. The church commissioned their first-ever deaconesses. In the words of the pastor, this is not just a man's church anymore. In this society, giving women leadership is very significant. This is cutting edge stuff.
Following the service, we were treated to a great lunch of rice and dal (lentil mixture). Another opportunity to watch and learn. No one had silverware. No problem. Hands are acceptable. I quickly learned to eat up my rice and dal by scooping it with my right hand. A bit messy, but fun in its own way. Definitely tasty.
What will I learn tomorrow? I can't wait to find out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like you're having fun! Enjoy yourself!
Post a Comment