Saturday, February 14, 2009

India Favourites

We spent a good part of today out and about in Delhi. Here are some highlights.

  • "Excuse me ma'am. I polish your shoes." I heard this three times, every time from someone trying to stop me as I walked along the street. Makes sense if I'm wearing black shoes that are scuffed and need some polish. Doesn't make sense when I'm wearing my running shoes. They are light grey, and have mesh on the top. Just what exactly did they think they were going to polish?!
  • A construction sign: "Slow please. Boring work ahead."
  • Riding around in a rickshaw. If I would have stuck my hand out the side, I could have easily touched the other rickshaws, motorcycles and cars around me. The drivers are very precise, leaving no room for error. Everyone is packed together on the streets.
  • Buying meat (mutton) in a meat shop. My favorite here was seeing the butchered animal hanging at the back of the shop. Want some leg? No problem. Let me chop it off for you!
  • Eating Indian food. I love Indian food. I could eat roti and rice and dal every day!
  • Going into a pharmacy to get some cold medicine. "You would like antibiotics, yes? I give you antibiotics." Antibiotics are handed out like candy here. No need for a prescription. I had to convince them that I did NOT want antibiotics. They were confused. Antibiotics are supposed to cure everything. What strange ideas this foreigner has about her cold.

Today was a wonderful day of experiencing Delhi culture. What a great way to end the trip. I have half a night of sleep, and then off to the airport for a day of travel. There are sure to be more stories when I arrive home.

No comments: