Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Where's Waldo? (or Cheryl...)

I knew it had been a long time since I posted. I learned just how overdue a post was when someone asked me this week... "Did you change your blog address? Or why am I not seeing any new posts?"

Yep, I admit it. I let it slide for a whole month. One thing piled on top of another, and at the end of the day, sleep was a higher priority than blogging. But, I'm back, and hopefully will be a little more regular again.

With a month away from here, it's a little hard to know where to start. I'm sure I'll post random reflections over the next few weeks of what's been going on around here.

Today, I've been thinking about money. Who doesn't think about money? No matter how much we want to be free from money, we all need it. It's not an option.

One value that drew Andy & me together right from the beginning was our desire to live simply. We've both spent time living in other cultures, and have had opportunities to experience what it means to live with less. Now, let me just clarify. We're not attempting to live at the same level as we know some of our friends do in other countries. For starters, our weather does not even maybe allow for us to live in a little grass hut. Nor do I think that would be the best option. However, we try to intentionally make choices that help us to consume just a little less than we might like to, and in the process, remember, pray for, and support friends and strangers who have less than we do.

We try to be creative with our budget (yes, we live within a budget), and we're always looking for ways to save. Every penny saved means a penny more that is available to share with someone else. One way that I've begun to save in the last year is through coupons. I never thought I would get much use from coupons. They seemed like a marketing technique, a gimmick, a reason to buy something I wouldn't otherwise buy. And besides, can't I get the store brand cheaper? Well, not always. There is a definite art to couponing, and I've learned just how much fun it can be. It's a game for me! Combine coupons with sales, rebates, and customer rewards, and there are some weeks when I am being paid to shop. Yes, you heard me correctly. I purchase some items because the rebates & coupons on that item actually equal more than the item costs. Just earlier this week, I walked out of our local pharmacy (CVS) with about ten items in my bag. At the cash register, I was required to part with 99 cents. Not bad, huh? My purchases included deoderant, toothpaste, tissues, 2 packages of cookies, gum, and some other random items. All I can say after a shopping trip like that is SCORE!

Coupons, choices in food, and carefully watching sales have also allowed me to recently cut our grocery budget almost in half. Yes, we are living in the same day and age as everyone else, when everyone is talking about food costs rising. I suppose they are. However, we're learning to do with less. We're not going hungry, by any means. Our freezer and pantry are well-stocked. But, we may have less options than before. Snacks aren't quite so prevalent around here. Ice cream and chips are a treat instead of a staple. Beverages beyond water and milk are nearly unheard of. And if meat costs more than 1.99/lb, we won't be eating it.

Don't worry - I'm not so naive that I think I'm changing the world by spending a few dollars less on food in a month. But it's baby steps. It's our small attempt at learning to be thankful for what we have, rather than expecting what we don't need. It's a way for us to recognize God in and around us - to say that He is providing for all of our needs. I suppose, in some small way, it's a method of fasting. When we're tempted to indulge, and go back to having all that we want, it's a good time to step back and remember the One who gave everything for us. And realize that our tiny little sacrifices are nothing compare to His. I need reminders like that.

What's on your mind this week?

2 comments:

Lori said...

YOU POSTED A POST!!!! I came to your blog page, expected to see reflections on India, but no! I get to read something new! Thank you:) I like it. And just for the record, really you call them 'tissues'? Where in the world did that come from? Anyways. Thanks for blogging again:)

Stacey said...

Wanna send some of those coupon deals up North? Seriously, I read about the CVS deals everywhere, and I wish we had something even CLOSE to that here!

What's on my mind today? Trying to take care of the body that God gave me. I've just recently started working out a few times each week, and I'm liking it :)