This morning, I found myself doing two activities simultaneously that did not seem to go together. In fact, it felt like two eras of time were colliding.
I was on the computer. No shock there. Connected to the internet, checking email, ability to network via Facebook if desired, connecting to my work office 45 miles away - yes, sometimes I forget to marvel at all I can do when I sit in front of this complex machine.
However, every so often, I got up from my desk because my other job for the morning was to tend the fire. I felt like a pioneer. (Well, at least how I imagine pioneers might have felt...!) We are attempting to cut our heating bill by using our woodstove this year, so today was the first day that I was literally responsible to keep the home fires burning.
(Please excuse the interruption. I just returned from chopping some more wood.)
So now, once again, I find myself resting with a computer on my lap, and staring at the fire... a fire that didn't come about by turning on a switch (yes, those are nice too), but by chopping wood, trying all the tricks I know for starting a fire, nearly smoking myself out of the basement, and finally seeing the edges of the wood catch on fire.
Aaah... the joys of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment