Wednesday, October 28, 2009

When Obedience Brings Forth Blessing

You know those moments in life when you know you should do something... and you just don't really want to? I mean, it would be nice to think that we're generous and loving and totally open to others all the time, but sometimes, selfishness just happens to show up for an unexpected visit... at least in my life.

Several weeks ago, we were asked to consider hosting a young woman for the next 6-12 months as she completes an internship with Brethren in Christ World Missions. I'd love to tell you that I responded with complete joy and welcomed her immediately. Unfortunately, such was not the case. My initial inward response was NO WAY! I like my space. I like our life the way it is. I like our routine. I'd rather not introduce something else into it right now. I was pleased with that response for about half a day. Suddenly it occurred to me that I missed a significant piece in the decision-making process. What happened to submitting to the Lord in everything? Oops. Got a little ahead of myself. Well, surely He agrees that it's good for me to have my own space in this season of life. Let me just ask Him quickly for confirmation. A quick dialogue with the Lord revealed... that I was wrong! Oh no! As soon as I asked, I received an answer. It was very clear. It just wasn't what I was expecting. The word was clear - "Open your home. Share the gift that I have given you." Wow. Really? Umm... okay. I guess so. God's grace is amazing. It took about a day for me to embrace this answer. He walked me through it, changed my heart, and brought me to a place of anticipation. After resting in the decision for a few days, we still sensed that we were headed in the right direction, so we submitted our response and began quickly making preparations for the new member of our household who would arrive in just a few days.

I know sometimes obedience is hard. We wonder when we will see fruit. Such is not the case this time. I have been blessed beyond belief in only the first four days. Bekah is now living with us, and she is a gem - a gift from God to us. We are grateful for her, and for these days that we will be blessed to share with her. I am so glad that the Lord got my attention and got me to reconsider. I can't imagine having passed up this opportunity.

No comments: