There is a first for everything. This week, my "first" is riding out a hurricane. Or a tropical storm. That is yet to be determined. Either one would mark a new experience for me. With Sandy bearing down on us, I've had to wonder "How does one prepare for such an event?"
Our location puts us in the path of the eye of the storm, so heavy wind and rain are coming our way (and have already started). However, we are far enough inland that we will escape the most devastating part - the huge waves crashing in from sea. So, we do not find ourselves in any real danger. Our house can withstand the wind, and we hope to avoid getting flooded.
What bothers me is electricity. We have been warned that we will lose power at some point - it's pretty much inevitable. I'm okay with that. It's the follow up comment "And you can expect to be without for up to 14 days." Yikes. How does one even begin to prepare for that? We can eat ramen noodles and tins of beans for a couple days - but 2 weeks?! And no heat. Lots of blankets, I suppose. In addition, we have a well, so no electricity means no water.
This could be an adventure. And I likely won't be online to update! See you on the other side.
And Sandy, you may leave now.
Our location puts us in the path of the eye of the storm, so heavy wind and rain are coming our way (and have already started). However, we are far enough inland that we will escape the most devastating part - the huge waves crashing in from sea. So, we do not find ourselves in any real danger. Our house can withstand the wind, and we hope to avoid getting flooded.
What bothers me is electricity. We have been warned that we will lose power at some point - it's pretty much inevitable. I'm okay with that. It's the follow up comment "And you can expect to be without for up to 14 days." Yikes. How does one even begin to prepare for that? We can eat ramen noodles and tins of beans for a couple days - but 2 weeks?! And no heat. Lots of blankets, I suppose. In addition, we have a well, so no electricity means no water.
This could be an adventure. And I likely won't be online to update! See you on the other side.
And Sandy, you may leave now.

1 comment:
I hear Sandy didn't hit you as hard as was predicted. I've been thinking about you the last few days. Hope you have electricity and water!
Post a Comment