I know, you're probably thinking that I'm going to take a minute of your attention and moan and groan about how hard it is to turn down all the great Christmas baking, or something like that.
But, no. This one is a lot more serious than that. Really. So much so that I haven't published this for a few days because I'm not sure if I want to post these thoughts for everyone to read. Surely some will disagree. Some will be bothered. Nonetheless, here's what I'm thinking about these days.
Christmas is dangerous. We are thinking a lot these days about danger and safety, and in particular, as it unfolds in schools. As a terrible tragedy has unfolded in CT, it inevitably (and rightly so) makes us think. Reevaluate. Perhaps hug loved ones a little tighter.
Being a participant in the Facebook world, I quickly saw a trend popping up. What can I do to keep my child safe? Should I adjust anything in our routine, our activities, or our family decisions to ensure greater safety for my child? (Before I go any further, please know - I'm a mommy. I'd love to do everything possible to keep my sweet girl safe.)
But here's where I got stuck. What if it's not my job to keep my child safe? What if it's actually my job to stand with my child in prayer, moral support, and encouragement as she steps out into all the God is asking her to do and be? This is where the Christmas connection hit for me. God is the most perfect example of a father, of a parent. He could have chosen to create absolute safety for His beloved Son. He could have abandoned the plan to send His Son to the world. This world is a dangerous place, as we all know. God knew it too. Yet, He gave the greatest gift. He was willing to let go of safety and sent His Son to live among us. Dangerous us.
What love. What strength.
Sometimes Christmas looks pretty cute and cuddly with a baby all snuggled up in the hay. But I'm starting to think Christmas is a bit more dangerous than cute. Perhaps a bit more painful than warm & fuzzy. What am I doing in response to the Gift of gifts that was sent for us? How am I honoring, serving, and representing the God that gave His only Son because of His immense love for each of us? I am wrestling with these questions this Christmas. Yes, I'm praying for safety for my family. But I'm also praying for courage. I'm praying for strength to obey whatever we are asked to do.
Immanuel. God with us. Even when it's dangerous.
But, no. This one is a lot more serious than that. Really. So much so that I haven't published this for a few days because I'm not sure if I want to post these thoughts for everyone to read. Surely some will disagree. Some will be bothered. Nonetheless, here's what I'm thinking about these days.
Christmas is dangerous. We are thinking a lot these days about danger and safety, and in particular, as it unfolds in schools. As a terrible tragedy has unfolded in CT, it inevitably (and rightly so) makes us think. Reevaluate. Perhaps hug loved ones a little tighter.
Being a participant in the Facebook world, I quickly saw a trend popping up. What can I do to keep my child safe? Should I adjust anything in our routine, our activities, or our family decisions to ensure greater safety for my child? (Before I go any further, please know - I'm a mommy. I'd love to do everything possible to keep my sweet girl safe.)
But here's where I got stuck. What if it's not my job to keep my child safe? What if it's actually my job to stand with my child in prayer, moral support, and encouragement as she steps out into all the God is asking her to do and be? This is where the Christmas connection hit for me. God is the most perfect example of a father, of a parent. He could have chosen to create absolute safety for His beloved Son. He could have abandoned the plan to send His Son to the world. This world is a dangerous place, as we all know. God knew it too. Yet, He gave the greatest gift. He was willing to let go of safety and sent His Son to live among us. Dangerous us.
What love. What strength.
Sometimes Christmas looks pretty cute and cuddly with a baby all snuggled up in the hay. But I'm starting to think Christmas is a bit more dangerous than cute. Perhaps a bit more painful than warm & fuzzy. What am I doing in response to the Gift of gifts that was sent for us? How am I honoring, serving, and representing the God that gave His only Son because of His immense love for each of us? I am wrestling with these questions this Christmas. Yes, I'm praying for safety for my family. But I'm also praying for courage. I'm praying for strength to obey whatever we are asked to do.
Immanuel. God with us. Even when it's dangerous.

2 comments:
Wow Cheryl. That's powerful. Thanks for a new perspective!
Right on, Cheryl. Good line of thinking. Good questions. Good challenge.
Post a Comment